Miscellaneous items (P) relating to Newark (N.J.), 1826 - 2012
Scope and Contents
The Newark-Miscellaneous collections include pamphlets, printed ephemera, and occasional manuscript items, relating to the City of Newark, arranged alphabetically by general topic.
Parks (2 folders): Lincoln Park material includes a copy of the application for classification as a Historic District; a brief history of the park; and a list and map of owners of houses surrounding the park (1978-1980s) Washington Park material includes a draft history of the area surrounding Washington Park; a letter from Jean R. Geiger to Mayor Kenneth Gibson regarding the "atrocious condition" of the park (1977); and a clipping on the park's rejuvenation (1985) Riverbank Park Centennial Celebration (2007 Souvenir Journal), Riverfront Park Newark Boat Tours flier (2012) Weequahic Park, "The Re-Opening of a Path," pamphlet [n.d.]. ; Dedication of Feldman Middleton Community Center and Carl Sharif Playground (2018). Miscellaneous material includes a memo from Douglas Eldridge to Elizabeth Del Tufo regarding re-naming Wallace Park, or some other area location, for William M. Ashby (1986); Riverbank Park newsletters (in English and Spanish, ca. 2003); the minutes of a meeting and a draft contract between the City and the Downtown Park Committee (1982-1988); an issue of the New Jersey Fair News regarding the State Fair, held at Waverly Park in Newark (1898), article "The Land The People the Future" on Olmsted and Essex County Parks etc. Trade card for "Grand Gift Festival" at Caledonian Park, August 4, 1884. Second folder includes misc. Branch Brook Park fliers brochueres and articles 1995-2014; Booklet: "Where to Go: Try Your Essex County Parks System" (c. 1970); "100 Years On the Greens at Weequahic" (Weequahic Golf Course, 2014); Clean Up Branch Brook Park Flier
Photography (3 folders) Photography 1, William F. Cone Material: a hand written list of captions for Cone photographs, some with dates (1892-1922); a notebook regarding photographs taken for the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company of NJ, with the number, date, location, lens used, and "remarks" (1905-1916); a notebook with numbered caption list of negatives of the Firemen's Insurance Building (1909); a photograph of Cone and his wife(?); 3 books of cancelled checks with notes (1897-1901); Cone's lease for an office in the Firemen's Insurance Company Building (1895-1896); constitution and by-laws of the Professional Photographers' Association of New Jersey (1912; NJ Tercentenary Photographic Competition, honorable mention ribbon for Cone's photograph "Baby Milk Distribution" (1964); and a reprint of a biographical article, "Will Cone's Plate Camera: A Window into History," by John T. Cunningham (1966) Photography 2, William F. Cone Material: correspondence, primarily from various Newark businesses, requesting Cone's services as a photographer, and often listing very specific shots (1901-1914); a letter from Cone to the Essex County Parks Commission re: his rights to negatives of photographs taken for the Parks Commission belong to Cone (1901); minutes of a meeting of the Professional Photographers' Association (1914); business cards, contracts, bills, etc. Photography 3, Miscellaneous: biographical sketch of New Jersey photographer Jimmy Richardson; overview and container list of the William H. Broadwell Photograph Collection (ca. 1980s) at Rutgers Special Collections; Essex County Parks Department, minutes of a meeting to organize a day-long "photo-documentary" project (1987); 2 certificates related to Harry C. Dorer; and a letter from A. Harry Moore to Harry Dorer regarding his photos (1936); Photograph of Health Class by J. Eickenbush (ca. 1930, from Schaumburg Township District Library); "Across the Brink" by John Matturi (2022).
Physicians (3 folders) Physicians 1: transcript of an interview with Samuel Berg, M.D., with Berg's reminiscences of Roseville (1950s); and two drafts of a manuscript regarding Maria Haring, M.D., who practiced medicine in Newark in the 1870s Physicians 2: contains genealogical information and articles regarding Henry L. Coit, M.D., an obituary, and the handwritten memorial service address (1854-1917) Physicians 3: includes newspaper clippings, a photograph, and a biographical sketch relating to E. Mae McCarroll, M.D. (1898-1990); she was the first African-American doctor on the staff of Newark's City Hospital (1946-1988)
Poetry: contains poetry collections, including "The Newark Review" (1983) and "Twenty More with Thought and Feeling," by E. Alma Flagg; and manuscripts of poems, many of which were published in the Newark Sunday Call: " Newark Settlers' Thanksgiving Hymn" by F. J. Urquhart (1909), "The Hiker Monument" (1914), "A Song for Newark," and "Military Park," from the City Anniversary Contest (1916), a ballad read at Barringer High School during the unveiling of the memorial tablet (1916), "Newark Bay," by H. G. Dwight" (1916), "The Test of Faith" by Walter Prichard Eaton (1919), "The Sexton's Dream" (1923) by J. F. Fulsom, and "Statues in the Park" by F. Higgins (1980). Misc. fliers Dodge Poetry Festival 2014.
Pollution: Cleaning Up Newark: Rebuilding for the 21st Century (Program, Seton Hall Law School Symposium, 1998)
Population 1: contains "The First Jubilee of American Independence..." with plans for an Independence Day celebration, a description of the laying of a foundation stone for a monument, and the order of the various tradesmen in the procession; copies of addresses by William S. Pennington and William Halsey; a census of Newark conducted by Isaac Nichols, assessor, enumerating inhabitants by gender, race, age, free or enslaved, and profession, factories by industry, and churches by denomination; a "Description of the Temple of Confederation," and "Semi-Centurial Monument" to be built in Newark; and a plan for and description of a "Tribute to Adams and Jefferson," with an address by Philip C. Hay (Newark: Lyon and Company, 1826) Population 2: "Newark Population by Races and Wards," from the U.S. Census (1940); "Newark Census Now 437,833" (1950); and "Population Trends in Newark," Planning Information Report (1961); contains census data and charts of Newark population by race, ward, and tract (1940, 1950, and 1960); an analysis of the census data published by the Central Planning Board (1964); and a newspaper article regarding the findings of the 1950 census in Newark Port Newark: contains large-format real estate brochures, with maps, descriptions, and images of former government property at the Newark Port for sale at public auction (1920s-1931); and a list of records of shipwreck reports, licenses of vessels, custom house records, etc., compiled by Barbara Lipton (1974), Bookmark (?) "Port Newark Terminal your best highway to and from the world of rich markets leads through the new port of Newark, N.J."
Public Assistance: contains a copy of "Relief in Newark, 1929-1933," by Warren Grover (M.A. thesis, New York University (1962), "Your Welfare Rights" Scholarship Education and Defense Fund for Racial Equality (1967)
Public Safety: contains a dog tag (1934)
Public Utilities: contains "The Works of the East Jersey Water Company for the Supply of Newark," by Clemens Herschel (1893); a program for the ground-breaking ceremony for the Public Service Electric and Gas Company (1978); and Citizens' Gas Light Company bills and advertisements (1892), "The New Public Service Terminal" (1914)
- 1826 - 2012
.83 Linear Feet (2 Hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
- Newark (N.J.) -- History -- 19th century
- Newark (N.J.) -- History -- 20th century
- Parks -- New Jersey -- Newark
- Photographers -- New Jersey -- Newark
- Physicians -- New Jersey -- Newark
- Pollution -- New Jersey -- Newark
- Population -- New Jersey -- Newark
- Public safety -- New Jersey -- Newark
- Public utilities -- New Jersey -- Newark
- Public welfare -- New Jersey -- Newark
Part of the Charles F. Cummings New Jersey Information Center, Newark Public Library Repository
Newark Public Library
5 Washington St.
Newark NJ 07102 United States