Skip to main content

Newark Architecture collection (N.J.)

 Collection
Identifier:  MG NWK Architecture -(Main)

Scope and Contents

This material has been divided into four series, alphabetized for purposes of the finding aid. The original material was put in a artifical collection by librarians c. 1969-1970. It was rehoused and slightly re-organized in 2021.

The first series (Box 1 and 9) is what has been described as "possibly the most comprehensive architectural and historical study ever undertaken on Newark buildings" by Donald Geyer. This includes specific sheets with copied photos and information on hundreds of buildings, as well as a master list and specific information on other sites like churches, Port Newark, and the library. Three detailed maps mark each site. The maps, as well as a list of priorities for preservation are in the oversized box.

The second series (Box 2 and 9) is the papers of the Historic Sites and Buildings Committee of Newark which met at the library and included Miriam Studley from about 1960-1962. Contents includes minutes, notes, correspondance, and various historical lists and materials. One Newark map from these materials was placed in the oversized box.

The third series (Box 3 and 4) includes items, mainly mounted captions and some research material from a library exhibit on Newark buildings by Julia Sabine.

The fourth series (Box 5) is items on architect William Lehman (see also: MG Lehman) including two large scrapbooks, loose papers, and an especially valuable 1920 catalog of works.

The fifth series is the miscellaneous material that makes up this artifical collection.

Box 6 and 7: These boxes are alphabetized into folders by topic. Of note, there is material on many Newark buildings such as Gateway, Krueger-Scott, Botanical Garden, Gilbrator, Rennaisance Mall. Large plans for Howard Savings Bank offices on Bloomfield and Clifton Aves, Gilbrator, and NJPAC are in the oversized box. Additionally, three drawings from the City Planning Bureau from 1922 are in the oversized box.

Box 8: two large items "A Survey of Ecclesiastical Architecture built in Newark from 1810-1865," by Kenneth B. Schnall (thesis, Newark State College Graduate School, 1965) and a folder of loose pages from a large clippings scrapbook devoted to issues of reassessment of property taxes, urban development, and the Fox-Lance-Crane Act, which permitted property tax concessions to developers engaged in urban renewal projects (clippings are from the Newark News and the Star-Ledger, 1960-1961).

Dates

  • copies from 19th century, 1903-2021

Creator

Conditions Governing Use

Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff. Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.

Biographical / Historical

Series 1: Donald Geyer (1924-1980) was born in New York City and graduated from East Orange High School in 1942. He had jobs with the Newark Housing Authority and the Department of Administration. In 1975 he was honored by Newark Landmarks and Preservation for his work securing landmarks status for 23 city buildings. He was also senior planner for Morris County for several years. His architectural study in this collection has been described as the most comphresive of Newark buildings. At the time of his death he was, most recently, senior comphrensive planner for the Department of Administration, Newark.

Series 2: The Historic Sites and Buildings Committee of Newark existed c. 1960-1962 and at least several meetings took place in Newark Library. Members included Iona Sonn, Miriam Studley, James E. Bryan, and Sam Berg, among others.

Series 3: Julia E. Sabine (1905-1990) was a Newark Public Library librarian. She was born in Illinois and by age 2 lived in New York City. Sabine worked as head of the Music and Art Department for many years. She had a PhD in Anthropology from University of Chicago. She retired in 1970 and worked for several years at the Munson - Williams - Proctor Arts Institute in Utica, NY. She was editor of the Newark Public Library and orignator of the NJ Illustration Index at the library. She also taught at Rutgers Library school and was a specialist in fine prints, rare books, and printing history. She was a member of Society for Architectural Historians.

Series 4: William E. Lehman (1874-1951), a Newark native, established his eponymous architectural firm in the Prudential Building in 1896, the year after he graduated from Cornell University School of Architecture. Several other family members were also part of the firm. The firm, originally titled William E. Lehman, Architect, was re-named the Lehman Architectural Partnership in 1977, and in 2000 it became the Lehman Architectural Group. Newark buildings designed by Lehman architects include, the Federal Building, the Medical Tower on Lincoln Park, Hotel Douglas (originally the Majestic), the Otto Kretchmer Homes, Proctor's Theater, the State Office Building, Hallmark House apartments on Hill Street, Columbus Homes, Mt. Vernon School, McKinley School, and Quitman Street School, among others. The firm also designed the Newark Center Building, on the site of the former Centre Market, in conjunction with a New York firm, Steinhardt and Thompson.In the early 1950s the Newark Housing Authority chose the Lehman firm to design apartment buildings in areas slated for urban renewal, including the Italian section of the First Ward and south Broad Street.

Extent

4.33 Linear Feet (8 Hollinger boxes, 1 oversized flat box)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

This collection contains materials on Newark architecture from Julia Sabine, William Lehman, Donald Geyer, the Historic Sites and Buildings Committee of Newark and miscellaneous other sources.

Physical Location

Oversized box offsite.

Author
No finding aid, text taken from Newark Archives Project nap.rutgers.edu
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Charles F. Cummings New Jersey Information Center, Newark Public Library Repository

Contact:
3rd Floor
Newark Public Library
5 Washington St.
Newark NJ 07102 United States
973-733-7775