Skip to main content

YMCA/YWCA-Newark scrapbook

 Collection — Container: Volume 1
Identifier: MG NWK YM/YWCA -(Main)

Scope and Contents

Despite the collection title, the single volume that makes up this collection is devoted entirely to material relating to the YWCA of Newark. Contents include letterhead, pledge cards, acknowledgment cards, and business cards; announcements, programs, and tickets for Bible classes, educational activities, gymnastic drills, music programs, dinners, exhibits, meetings, etc.; sample questionnaires to ascertain the numbers, ages, and living arrangements of women employees; and circulars (1907-1917).

NOTE: the scrapbook is fragile; consult staff for access.

NOTE: 7 more scrapbooks of YWCA material (1907-1933) can be found in the scrapbook collection MG Nwk YWCA; see also MG Nwk YM/YWCA / HA.


  • 1907 - 1917


Conditions Governing Use

Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff. Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.

Biographical / Historical

The Newark branch of the YWCA was founded in 1871 during a meeting held at the YMCA on Broad and West Park Streets. Before the year was out, the women had rented a building of their own on East Park Street. The first president of Newark's YWCA was Mary Virginia Terhune (writer "Marion Harland"), wife of Edward P. Terhune. In 1872 the organization moved to quarters on 50 Atlantic Street, and 23 women were soon receiving room and board there for three dollars a week. In 1873 the organization was officially incorporated, and moved to 315 Mulberry Street, where 40 women boarders could be accommodated. Emphasis on Bible study dominated the early years of the YWCA, but the organization gradually added classes in domestic science, including needle-work instruction, millinery, and cooking; business courses in stenography and typing; arts instruction; and classes in physical education, especially swimming, gymnastics, and dance.

In 1911, after many years of occupying a variety of rental or retro-fitted properties, the YWCA began construction of a new building that would include a gymnasium, lunchroom, and library, among other amenities, at 53 Washington Street. At the time of construction, the YWCA had 1,200 members. A committee of 400, headed by Mrs. Addison B. Poland, and Miss Jessie Fairlie, raised over $250,000 for the project. The names of the captains of various fund-raising teams and their weekly totals of new subscribers and amounts raised, were regularly reported in the newspapers.


1 Volumes

Language of Materials


No finding aid, text from catalog and (Newark Archives Project).
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Charles F. Cummings New Jersey Information Center, Newark Public Library Repository

3rd Floor
Newark Public Library
5 Washington St.
Newark NJ 07102 United States