Newark Public Library Maps Collection
Scope and Contents
The Newark Public Library has many historical Newark Maps. The majority of Newark large flat maps have been digitized.
The library also has many historical maps of New Jersey which are searchable via card file in the New Jersey room (Basement).
The library also has a collection of folded and street maps, viewable in the NJ Room (Map Dreawer, 500 Broad).
The library also has a collection of NJ atlases (Wooden cabinet, and 500 Broad).
Newark atlases are digitized at digital.npl.org.
The library also has some street maps donated by City of Newark and lot maps by Charles McGrath (see children).
Atlases/maps in Wooden Cabinet (number is drawer number, list updated 1.18.20)
2 (& 23): Nirenstein's Middle Atlantic States Edition 1947
Atlas of New Jersey, Geological Survey (1888?) Bien
3. Sanborn. Pier map of New York Harbor.
4. Bien. Metropolitan district and adjacent country. 1891.
11. State Atlas NJ 1872 (Beers)
12. Jersey City atlas (Hopkins)
13. N.J. Geol. Survey Topographical Maps, New Series.
18. Price & Lee maps Newark 1942-1943
19. Price and Lee maps Newark 1917-1941
20. Atlas of the Oranges, 1911.
21. Atlas of Irvington, South Orange, Maplewood and Millburn, 1928.
29. Everts. Combination atlas map of Salem & Gloucester Cos. 1870.
30. Harrison and Kearny atlas (no binding), 1903
31. Beers. State Atlas of New Jersey. 1872.
32. Survey map co. New Jersey (atlas), 1905.
33. Beers Hunterdon County 1873.
34,.Beers. Somerset County. 1873.
35. Beers. Monmouth County. 1873.
36. Beers. Morris County. 1868.
36. Robinson. Atlas of Morris County. 1887.
37. Wolverton. Atlas of Monmouth County. 1889.
38. Essex county atlas 1906 (no index no binding)
39. Robinson. Atlas of the Oranges, Essex County, 1904.
40. Hudson County Atlas, 1923.
41. Hudson County Atlas, 1933.
42. Hudson County Atlas, 1909.
Atlases at 500 Broad (not up to date), Hagstrom Maps at 500 Broad: https://npl.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Old-List-of-Atlases-Hagstrom-Maps-500-Broad.pdf
- Representing the town in 1666 - 2000s (actual documents no older than 19th century)
Conditions Governing Use
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff. Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
50 Linear Feet (Estimated -- 4 map cases + smaller copies of other maps + folded and street maps)
Language of Materials
- New Jersey -- History -- 17th century
- New Jersey -- History -- 18th century
- New Jersey -- History -- 19th century
- New Jersey -- History -- 20th century
- Newark (N.J.) -- History -- 17th century
- Newark (N.J.) -- History -- 18th century
- Newark (N.J.) -- History -- 19th century
- Newark (N.J.) -- History -- 20th century
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Charles F. Cummings New Jersey Information Center, Newark Public Library Repository
Newark Public Library
5 Washington St.
Newark NJ 07102 United States