Skip to main content

Essex County Institutions Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: MG Essex Co. Institutions-(Main)

Scope and Contents

This collection includes cardboard mounted photographs of the Essex County Overbrook Hospital, Essex County Penitentiary, Essex County roads and bridges, and Essex County Hospital for Contagious Diseases. This collection is notable for the breadth of photos of nurses and inmates, buildings, operating rooms, and more.

Dates

  • 1915 - 1918

Conditions Governing Use

Researchers wishing to publish reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.

Biographical / Historical

Essex County historically managed several institutions. Overbrook Hospital, a psychiatric hospital, was built in 1896 in Cedar Grove (originally Essex County Hospital for the Insane) and closed in 2007.The Essex County Penitentiary (Jail) was built in 1837 in Newark and a new jail was built in 1971. The Essex County Hospital for Contagious Diseases (also known as Isolation Hospital) was built in Belleville in 1905, eventually became a cancer center, and closed in 2011.

Extent

.42 Linear Feet (1 Hollinger box)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Photographs of the Essex County Overbrook Hospital, Essex County Penitentiary, Essex County roads and bridges, and Essex County Hospital for Contagious Diseases.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Robert Williams.

Related Materials

Some annual reports for these institutions are held in the Essex County Documents collection (not cataloged, no finding aid, card file only).

MG Essex Jail contains Essex County Jail records.

Processing Information

Letter and number written on cards in pencil to indicate order and group which cards belong to. Date is confirmed from Card U1 which lists staff members, which were then checked versus annual reports of the hospital in posession of CFCNJIC.

Author
Beth Zak-Cohen
Date
2019
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Charles F. Cummings New Jersey Information Center, Newark Public Library Repository

Contact:
3rd Floor
Newark Public Library
5 Washington St.
Newark NJ 07102 United States
973-733-7775