YM/YWCA-YM/YWHA Collection (Newark, N.J.)
Scope and Contents
The collection consists largely of reports, financial records, correspondence, and printed material. A few photographs are also included.
YWCA material consists of a 5Oth anniversary program, a souvenir book that includes a history of the organization, and an annual report (1921).
YM-YWCA material consists of an annual report that includes a "salute" to Donald M. Payne, who was President of the National Council of YMCAs and was running for City Council at the time (1970), a brief report entitled "The Newark Interracial Situation" (ca. 1945?), and a folder of material that includes correspondence, committee reports, annual reports, proposals, financial statements, etc. related to the Student Advisory Committee of the YM-YWCA (1962-1968).
YM-YWHA of Metropolitan New Jersey material consists of 6 postcards of historic photographs of Newark street scenes, the Y building on High Street, and Y activities (1977) and a Fuld Hall 20th anniversary souvenir book that includes a history of the organization (1944).
- 1921 - 2009
Conditions Governing Use
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff. Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
Biographical / Historical
The Newark branch of the YWCA (Young Women's Christian Association) had been founded in 1871 during a meeting held at the YMCA, then located on Broad and West Park Sts. Before the year was out, the women had rented a building of their own on East Park Street. The first president of Newark's YWCA was Mary Virginia Terhune (writer "Marion Harland"), wife of Edward P. Terhune. In 1872 the organization moved to quarters on 50 Atlantic Street, and 23 women were soon receiving room and board for three dollars a week. In 1873 the organization was officially incorporated, and moved to 315 Mulberry Street where 40 women boarders could be accommodated. Gradually the organization added classes in domestic science, including needlework instruction, a lunch room, a gymnasium, and even a home for "incurables" to its roster of programs. In 1911, after many years of occupying a variety of rented or purchased buildings, the organization began construction of a new building at 53 Washington Street. A "colored" branch of the YWCA was opened at 71 Wilsey St. in 1921. The YMCA and YWCA of Newark merged in 1954.
The YMHA (Young Men's Hebrew Association) was founded in 1877, as an organization to "promote intelligence" among Jews, at a meeting in vestry room of Temple B'nai Jeshurun on Washington Street. Rabbi Joseph Leucht was chairman and Jacob Holzner was secretary. After meeting for three years at Library Hall, 147-149 Market St., in 1881 the organization moved to new headquarters, rented from brewer Gottfried Krueger at 301 Plane Street. The new building, known as Hebrew Hall, included a library, gymnasium, bowling alley, barroom, and a hall for theatrical performances, dances, etc. The YMHA failed to maintain membership, however, and in 1898 it was disbanded. Nearly 20 years later the organization was revived and by 1919 it had 2,000 members. In the interim, in 1905, Jewish women had founded a YWHA, meeting at Temple B'nai Abraham at High Street and 13th Ave. In 1919, with the revival of the YMHA, the men's and women's branches were merged. A new building to house the YM-YWHA, Fuld Hall, was constructed on High Street in 1924. From its new headquarters the "Y" ran sports programs, classes in physical education, and sponsored day camps, lectures, concerts, and theatrical performances. Gradually branches were opened in other parts of the city.
.42 Linear Feet (1 Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
- Associations, institutions, etc. -- New Jersey -- Newark
- Letters (correspondence)
- Newark (N.J.) -- History -- 20th century
- Programs (documents)
- Young Men's Christian Association (Newark, N.J.)
- Young Men's and Young Women's Hebrew Association, Newark, N.J.
- Young Women's Christian Association (Newark, N.J.)
- Youth centers -- New Jersey -- Newark
- No finding aid, text from catalog and nap.rutgers.edu (Newark Archives Project).
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Charles F. Cummings New Jersey Information Center, Newark Public Library Repository
Newark Public Library
5 Washington St.
Newark NJ 07102 United States