Skip to main content

Protestant Foster Home Society , 1860 - 1940

 File — Container: Main: Aisle 2 (Local Docs)

Scope and Contents

Cataloged in documents collection: Annual reports 1849-1860 through 1940

Dates

  • 1860 - 1940

Creator

Biographical / Historical

The Protestant Foster Home Society, located at 284 Belleville Avenue, was founded in 1849. Originally the Home was governed by an all-male Board of Trustees who handled the Home's legal and financial affairs, and an all-female Board of Managers who oversaw the day-to-day operations of the Home. In 1912 officers included Mrs. Joseph Fewsmith, Jr., Chair of the Admissions Committee; Mrs. Charles Borcherling, Directress of the Board of Managers; Mrs. Robert Stanwood, Corresponding Secretary; Mrs. James Higbie, Recording Secretary; and Mrs. Robert F. Ballantine, Treasurer. In 1948 the Protestant Foster Home merged with the Newark Orphan Asylum, becoming the Newark Home for Foster Care.

In 1960, the Home for Foster Care merged with the Children's Aid Society and became Newark Child Service Association.

In 1970, the Child Service Association merged with the Citizens Committee for Children and became the Advocates for Children of New Jersey which still exists today.

Extent

From the Collection: 29 Linear Feet (2 drawers + 9 shelves )

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Repository Details

Part of the Charles F. Cummings New Jersey Information Center, Newark Public Library Repository

Contact:
3rd Floor
Newark Public Library
5 Washington St.
Newark NJ 07102 United States
973-733-7775