Newark Churches collection (N.J.)
Scope and Contents
This open, artificial collection consists of service bulletins, guides, programs, brochures, church histories, and other material related to Newark churches. Contents are as follows:
In Box 1:
Bethany Baptist Church: program and bookmark celebrating the 10th anniversary of the church's library (1967); copy of a letter from Private Henry Jones, 369th U.S. Infantry, in France, to Bethany Baptist Church (Sep 19, 1918), with transcript and notes. The letter includes mention of the military service of Chaplain Benjamin C. Robeson, brother of Paul Robeson
Bethany Presbyterian Church: "History of Bethany Presbyterian [Spruce and Charlton Sts.]," by Ada Whitehouse Williams (typescript and mss copy, 1970); photographs of the church, an outing, and a Sunday School group (ca. 1890s); profession certificate (1888) and pledge card (1893) of George Williams, husband of Ada Whitehouse Williams; a copy of "The Bethany Star," Vol. 2, No. 8 (1896, monthly, Rev. MacFarland editor); cover of an anniversary program [?] (1914); reunion notice (1947), noting that the church closed 30 years before, etc. The church was founded through efforts of Cephas Woodruff, of First Presbyterian Church. He bought property and started a Sunday School, which soon flourished. A wooden frame church building was erected; its first minister was Rev. Lester Wells, who was followed by Rev. E. O. MacFarland. The church, with a largely German-American congregation, was small but very active. Miss Augusta Heyder, renowned slide painter, whose work was used by famous lecturers, was a member. Church declined and closed, when the population of the neighborhood changed from German to Jewish. Eventually the church buiding was demolished.
B'nai Jushurun (synagogue): includes a letter from Samuel Convissor to librarian Charles Cummings (Sep 18, 2005) re: a speech given by Rabbi Isaac Schwarz at the cornerstone laying of Temple B'nai Jeshurun [Washington St. building] in 1857, with a transcript of the speech; and a Temple B'nai Jeshurun seventy-fifth anniversary program (1923)
Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, Summer Ave. and Kearny St.: pamphlet, "Semi-Centennial History, 1866-1916" (illustrated)
Central Presbyterian Church (very large folder): histories, notes, and letters of congratulation regarding various anniversaries (1937-1949); service bulletins (1918-1944) for special occasions, installations, anniversaries, etc.; a choir photograph (1935); Directory of Members (1872); clipping on an anniversary historical pageant by Mrs. John H. P. Strome (Newark News, Jan 29,1949); and a booklet with photographs, branch of service, rank, date of birth, and date and place of death of members of the congregation who died in World War II
Clinton Avenue Presbyterian Church: "A History of the Clinton Ave. Presbyterian Church," by Ada Whitehouse Williams (1970), service bulletins including those for opening services (1904), the laying of the cornerstone (1914), and the 25th anniversary of the merger with 13th Avenue Presbyterian Church (1992)
Clinton Hill Baptist Church, Clinton Ave. at South 14th St.: pamphlet, "1849-1949, One Hundreth Anniversary" (illustrated), including history of the German Baptist mission to Newark from 1839 and a list of pastors, all German
Emmanuel Church (Reformed Episcopal): Christian message printed on a blotter. Church is at Broad St. at Fourth Ave., Henry F. King, Pastor. In the same folder: a certificate from Emanuel Methodist Episcopal Church Sunday School (1890) [in very poor condition]
First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church: brochure with history and description of the church (1973)
First Presbyterian Church [Old First Church]: program for the centennial of the church's dedication, including lists of committees, a sermon, and an address on the history of the church and its place in Newark (1891); program for the 25th anniversary of the Rev. David R. Frazer (1908); engraving on a Christmas card of Thomas L. Raymond (1915); and bulletins for special services, illustrations, and a history
Forest Hill PresbyterianChurch (2 large folders): a ledger of financial transactions (1892-1904); completed membership forms and certificates for incoming members from other churches (ca. 1891-1917); a dedication week program (1913); a constitution and bylaws; receipts, correspondence, etc. (1873-1970)
In Box 2:
Franklin Street Methodist Episcopal Church, Maple and Keer Ave.'s: pamphlet, "Centennial Celebration, 1831-1931, Directory and Souvenir Program... June 7-14, 1931" (illustrated); pamphlet, "Historical Sketch" (125th anniversary, 1956), identifying the church as "the oldest Methodist Church Organization in Newark."
Grace Episcopal Church (large folder): service bulletins for 135th anniversary (1972), consecration of John Shelby Spong as bishop (1976), and service commemorating Bishop George Edward Rath (1978); church guides; photocopies of typed and handwritten documents, including a description of the stained glass windows, and church architecture
High Street Presbyterian Church: engraving on Christmas card (1927)
House of Prayer Episcopal Church, 407 Broad St.: brochure (English and Spanish); copy of "The Newark Churchman" magazine of the Episcopal Diocese (Dec 1925), with an article on the House of Prayer's 75th anniversary; letterhead and brochure re: Restoration Campaign; pamphlet history of the Rectory (Plume House); booklet, "Semi-Centennial, Historical Sketch (1900, illustrated); "Newark's Home of History" handout
Metropolitan Ecumenical Ministry (formerly Greater Newark Council of Churches): reports, lists of members and supporters, financial report, etc. (Dec 1969-Nov 1980)
Metropolitan United Methodist Ministry, Report to the Eastern District Church Society (1969). Founded (1969?) with the purpose of confronting urban problems.
Mount Calvary Baptist Church: service bulletin and banquet programs for 30th anniversary of the Rev. Dr. Jesse Wendell Mapson as pastor (1977); program for Morehouse Glee Club performance (1979)
Mount Pleasant Baptist Church: 25th anniversary sermon by Pastor F. C. A. Jones (1892); program, 100th Anniversary (1967)
Mount Zion Baptist Church, 208 Broadway: illustrated 140th Anniversary program and history (2018); illustrated history by Leonard Brazell, and a single page from another history (photocopies, undated); service program (Apr 17, 2016, 2 copies); metal usher's badge
North Reformed Church: service bulletin for 24th anniversary of Sunday Schools (1882)
Park Presbyterian Church, at corner of Belleville Ave. and Kearny St.: copy of a clipping on laying of the cornerstone (Manufacturers Gazette, March 1871); miscellaneous items (1884-1888); newsletter, Park Presbyterian Church Recorder (Feb 28, 1892)
Roseville Presbyterian Church, Roseville and Sussex Avenues: 85th anniversary pamphlet (1938); Sunday School, 100th anniversary program (1952); Church 100th anniversary pamphlet (1954)
In Box 3:
Sacred Heart Cathedral (2 folders): Folder 1: correspondence, questionnaires, and printed material with descriptions of architecture, stained glass, organ, etc. (1950s-1980s); service bulletins for ordinations, anniversaries, silver jubilee, golden jubilee, etc. (1924-1985); misc. souvenir programs; "Histories of Sacred Heart Cathedral," edited by the Rev. Michael E. Gubernot (1993). Folder 2: souvenir programs with photographs and history; miscellaneous articles and architectural information; booklet of interior photos (undated)
Roman Catholic Churches (misc.): service programs, etc.
Second Presbyterian Church, Washington and James Sts.: service program, October 4, 1987, with color photo of the Brotherhood Window; Bylaws (1967); "A Brief Illustrated Description" (1960); 150th Anniversary booklet (1961)
Sixth Presbyterian Church: pamphlet "People in New Jersey from the Contending Nations of Europe," by Davis W. Lusk, Pastor [1918?], with a note from the donor, Mrs. George (Ada) Williams
St. Aloysius Roman Catholic Church: Silver Jubilee Program with photographs of the church, lists of members, advertisements, etc. (1924)
St. Lucy's Roman Catholic Church: three brochures "St. Lucy's Church," "The Italian Cathedral," and "Saint Gerard" (undated); a relic of St. Gerard Maiella (cloth)
St. Luke's Methodist Church: Centenary Program, Sixty-Fifth Annual Convention NJ Woman's Christian Temperance Union, (1939).
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church: 125th anniversary booklet (1958)
St. Rocco's Roman Catholic Church: application for nomination to the NJ Register of Historic Sites (1979); and a program for a service to celebrate Landmark status (1980)
St. Stephan's German Evangelical Church (later United Church of Christ), Wilson Ave. [formerly Hamburg Place] and Ferry St.: anniversary celebration brochures, in German, with history, lists of members, photographs, and advertisements (1899, 1909, 1924); newsletter, "St. Stephan's Messenger" (in German, 1945); 35th anniversary program (in German, 1909); 75th anniversary souvenir program (1949): and a membership directory (ca. 1966)
Thirteenth Avenue Presbyterian Church, a largely African-American parish, which merged with Clinton Avenue Presbyterian Church in 1967: 120th anniversary program with photographs of many organizations in the parish and lists of members (1955); and a letter regarding urban renewal and the demolition of the church (1967)
Trinity Church/Trinity and St. Philip's Cathedral: 250th anniversary service bulletin (1996) "Trinity Cathedral: A brief historical sketch" (2 copies); "Trinity Cathedral in Newark," program (Oct 19, 1952)
Miscellaneous, Folder 1:
St. Casimir's Roman Catholic Church, 164 Nichols St.: parish centennial souvenir program and service program (2005, in English and Polish); "The City of Newark and Its Church: A Supplementary Study for the Reading of Dr. Kincheloe's 'The American City and Its Church'," by Charles Lee Reynolds (Oct 1938, mimeographed, 3 pp.); souvenir Easter poem by Dora Ross (); Our Lady of Fatima Church, souvenir program, with history, honoring Father Joseph L. Capote (in Portuguese and English); First Congregational Jube Memorial Church, Clinton Ave. and Wright St., Directory (1911); Faith Temple No. 1, OFW Baptist Church, flyer (2021); St. Mary's Abbey, centennial celebration program (1984); centennial celebration program, Sisters of St. John the Baptist (at St. Lucy's Church, 1978); Certificate of Incorporation of the Church of the Blessed Sacrament (1906); St. Michael's Church, 172 Broadway, 100th anniversary program (1978); St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, list of historical snippets from the Newark Daily Advertiser, dated 1859 to 1880
Miscellaneous, Folder 2:
Deliverance Evangelistic Center, Evangelist Arturo Skinner, 505 Central Ave., advertising card (undated): Queen of Angels Church, 44 Irvine Turner Blvd., program for concert by Cissy Houston (1984); St. Rose of Lima Church,11 Gray St., letter to parishioners from Rev. Linder (May 28, 1976); Newark Conference Camp Meeting at Denville, NJ, letter of invitation (1869); Der Ersten Deutschen Presbyterian Gemeinde Jubilaeum (1901); ticket, Dedication of the Church of the Dominican Fathers [St. Antoninus Church] (Oct 6, 1912); Newark Archdiocesan Council of the National Council of Catholic Women, brochure (1972)
- 1857 (copied) - Current
Conditions Governing Use
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff. Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
.82 Linear Feet (2 Hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of service bulletins, guides, programs, brochures, and other material related to Newark churches.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Artifical collection by library staff. Some items added from Newark News files.
- No finding aid, text from catalog entry
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Charles F. Cummings New Jersey Information Center, Newark Public Library Repository
Newark Public Library
5 Washington St.
Newark NJ 07102 United States