Richard C. Jenkinson Information Files
Scope and Contents
The Richard C. Jenkinson Collection on the history of fine printing was originally given by the Newark Public Library trustee in two separate gifts in 1924 and 1930. Though the Collection is made up predominately of books that prime examples of fine presses, some of the collection is made up type specimens, publication announcements, catalogs, price lists and a variety of periodical articles, web site print outs and other historical and biographical information.
- Majority of material found in ca. 1800 - present
- Jenkinson, Richard C., 1853-1930 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Available by appointment only.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied or photographed without permission from library staff.
Conditions Governing Access
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
26 Linear Feet (49 Hollinger boxes and one oversized drawer)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of articles, printing samples, announcements of publications, printing specimens, etc. of various fine presses, printers and various subjects tied into the history of printing.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Initial gift by Richard C. Jenkinson, 1924 and 1930; various individual items donated by Dr. Timothy J. Crist, William J. Dane and others; other material collected by the staff of the Newark Public Library, 1924-present.
Announcements, broadsides, clippings, greeting cards, ephemera, newspapers, photographs, posters, and specimens.
Processed by Chad Leinaweaver and Jared Ash; September 2009-May 2011. Various printing specimens and publication announcements refer to books held within the Jenkinson Collection. For publications designed by Bruce Rogers, the announcements and specimens are numbered according to Warde’s Bibliography on Rogers, which is also the numbering scheme used for the Bruce Rogers books in the Jenkinson Collection.
- American Institute of Graphic Arts
- Arion Press
- Book design -- Exhibitions
- Dana, John Cotton, 1856-1929
- Dwiggins, W. A. (William Addison), 1880-1956
- Goudy, Frederic W. (Frederic William), 1865-1947
- Grolier Club
- Gutenberg, Johann, 1397?-1468
- Lakeside Press (Chicago, Ill.)
- Marchbanks Press
- Morris, William, 1834-1896
- Newark Public Library
- Pennyroyal (Firm)
- Printing -- History
- Printing -- New Jersey -- History
- Private presses
- Private presses -- New Jersey
- Rogers, Bruce, 1870-1957
- Small presses
- Small presses -- New Jersey
- Type designers
- University presses
- University presses -- New Jersey
- Chad Leinaweaver and Jared Ash
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script